Reports suggest that Mirzapur was a commercial city, being situated on the banks of the river Ganges. These reports are backed by the Naar Ghat, a carved stone with rates of toll taxes of Ashokan times inscribed on it. Most of the city was established by English officers, and so places are named after Englishmen like Wellesleyganj (Lord Wellesley), Mukeri Bazar (Lord Mercury), Dankeen Ganj (Mr. Danseen), and a famous waterfall of the city, Windham Water Fall (Mr. Windham). The Municipal Corporation building was also built by the English Government.
On the outskirts of the area, there is a patch of forest that contains ancient wall paintings, called Lekhania Dari and there are small rapids at the place. This has made it a popular picnic spot among residents of nearby cities. The forest area is still inhabited by some tribes. Possibly, ten tribes are still present in the region.
The indigenous ruler Sheikh Mirza was captured by the British government, and so the city was documented by the British as Mirzapur due to the name of its ruler. Some information about an ancient city near the local Kachhawa Bazar has also been found, but is awaiting concrete proof. Near the Kachhawa Bazar an ancient temple of lord Shiva in Larawak village. It is locally believed that this temple was build in Treta Yug during Ramawataar. This temple is so attarctive in architecture point of view and all the design of stone is just like the Khajuraho. Now this temple is protected and supervised by Archeological survey of India (ASI). This temple gives a lot of information about the ancient life cycle of the human. This temple is located in the heart of the Larawak village.
It is also locally believed that the Mirzapur was founded by Raja Nanner and was known as Girijapur, but after the British conquest it came to be known as Mirzapur. The earliest mention of the town is found in the writings of Tieffenthaler, who drew up his description of the country between 1760 and 1770. He mentioned it under the name of Mirzapur, especially as a great mart. In the records of Jonathan Duncan, who was a resident of Varanasi, frequent mention is made of the place as Mirzapur. Before 1 April, 1989, Mirzapur was the largest district of India. Mirzapur is also a Naxalite hot spot.